Ta-da, the endless tube is done. Though it doesn't look that impressive in the pictures it's pretty much what I wanted. It is very warm, and long enough to tuck easily under my coat with the hood up. (The tube's hood – the coat doesn't have a hood, which was the whole point.) The only thing that's not so great is it's loose around my face (and I wouldn't have wanted it tight, or it would be tight up my neck) the cold air blows in. Also, when I wear it with my coat that DOES have a hood, the coat's velcro catches on the yarn bobbles and does bad things. So I shouldn't wear it with that coat. :)
I should post a picture of it off so you can see how it's shaped – I made it wider at the bottom than the top, so it would drape better around my neck. (Also because I kept changing my mind as I went along how wide it should be – luckily this yarn and the way it fits hide just about all imperfections!)
I'm glad I made this because I wanted to have it, and I'm using it, but it was a pain to knit. (Literally! I got Knitter's Elbow from this project) – I am now thoroughly sick of K1 P1, and the double-strandedness of the Astrakhan is a PAIN. (It was especially a pain when I misguidedly used it to do the E-Z sewn bindoff ... a complete nightmare!)
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan, 4-plus skeins.
Pattern: Angora Furred Teddy Hood (minus the fur) from Knitters Stash, with some modifications: I cast on 110 stitches, increased to 120 somewhere in the middle, increased again another 10 or so stitches near the end. I stopped at about 20" so it wouldn't get too bulky around the neck, that seems plenty long.
Needles: US8 circular